Restoring an old power hacksaw – Part 2

Posted by on November 28, 2014

Slight progress on the saw, mostly pictures today:

Retapping to clean up the threads.

I couldn’t get some parts properly adjusted, turns out the threads were very, very dirty and some were partially damaged, so I decided to clean them up with an appropriate tap.

Since I didn't want to machine all the parts, sleeve them, etc. I decided to add brass screws throughout the machine to reduce play. The holes could later on be covered up if need be.

Since I didn’t want to machine all the parts, sleeve them, etc. To solve the issue with the wear I decided to add brass screws throughout the machine to reduce play. The holes could later on be covered up if need be. Here’s how I chucked them to face them as the last operation.

Brass screws were added as a temporary fix to deal with the play on the shaft.

Brass screws were added as a temporary fix to deal with the play on the shaft. I drilled and tapped three holes on the main shaft bearing.

These are the temporary modifications on the saw, the other side of the con-rod has another brass screw. These are temporary until I have the time to sleeve all the parts.

These are the temporary modifications on the saw, the other side of the con-rod has another brass screw. These are temporary until I have the time to sleeve all the parts.

Some parts were cleaned up, slightly polished and blackened as part of the restoration.

Some parts were cleaned up, slightly polished and blackened as part of the restoration.

DSCN5888f

This is how it cuts after the mods.

 

Hey not bad for such an old machine!, but we can still improve it.
More on this next week…